Pages

Saturday, February 20, 2016

Chocolate Coma Cake


Prepare yourselves.  If  your prone to sin, I beg you, don't take one bite of this cake. This cake is chocolate on steroids.  Seriously.  Often I will do a prototype and then tweak it.  I was going for something totally decadent and I think I achieved that.  I will not be tweaking this one.   I was just going to call it a chocolate poke cake, but when I used my nephew as a guinea pig, he dubbed it "Chocolate Coma Cake".  So that's how this baby got it's name.

I'm going to share this recipe, but don't hold me responsible for contributing to your caloric demise. You've been warned.

Chocolate Coma Cake

Cake
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 sticks butter
4 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 cup water
1/2 cup buttermik
2 eggs

Filing (for poking in the cake
14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Chocolate Whipped Cream Topping
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Optional:
mini chocolate chips
chocolate ice cream topping (the kind you squeeze)

Directions:
Cake:
Melt butter over low heat.  Add Cocoa and water and bring to a rapid boil, remove from heat.
Mix sugar, flour, soda and salt in a large bowl.  Pour heated ingredients over dry.
Add buttermilk, eggs and vanilla.  Mix well.  Pour into greased and floured 9 x 13 pan.  Bake 350 degrees for 25-35 minutes.  All ovens are different.  Mine is possessed so I watch mine like a hawk.

Once cake comes out of the oven, poke holes all over the top of the cake. 

Place sweetened condensed milk and 1 cup  chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl.  Microwave for about 30 seconds to 1 minute.  Stir the chocolate and milk until smooth and then pour over the cake and spread to fill in the holes.  Set cake aside to cool (you can hasten the cooling by sticking in the frige - which is what I did)

To make the whipped topping, whip heavy cream until it begins to thicken.  Add powdered sugar, cocoa and vanilla extract and continue to whip until stiff peaks form.  Spread whipped topping on top of completely cooled cake.

Here's where you can get creative and chocolate it up ever further by sprinkling mini chocolate chips on top, and then drizzle the chocolate ice cream syrup on top of all that!

You'll want to keep in the refrigerator until ready to serve because of the whipped topping.    

So there you go.  See what  I mean?  (devilish giggle)




I am participating in Meal Plan Monday



3 comments:

I love your sweet comments and read them all. Please let me know you were here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails