Pages

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Sure-fire Scorched Pot Repair

Have you ever "ruined" a good pot because you've scorched it? Yesterday I was trying out a new recipe for the crock pot...pinto beans. By the way... Awwwwwe-Som! (I'll share Friday) and it was pretty full. I knew better, but I turned it on high. "Oh, I'll just turn it on high for about an hour and I'll turn it back down to low and let it finish. Uh, yeah right! I totally forgot. The bean "juice" bubbled from under the lid and down the sides and inside the metal part. I came home to an awful smell. The beans were fantastic. The scorched smell? Not so much.

After we had dinner, and I'm about to wash the dishes I take the crock out of the metal housing and look inside. Ugh! G-R-O-S-S !!! (spell it, it's way more effective).

Not to worry, by now I'm a pro at this (ask me how). Here's what it looked like....
See? G-R-O-S-S !

Poor old Polly, (you name your kitchen appliances too, don't you? No? hmmmm, pity) is really old but still works and isn't yet ready to put out to pasture, so I go to the laundry room, grab a couple of dryer sheets, put them in the bottom of the pot, pour a little water in there (maybe 1/4 of the way up) and let it sit overnight. Here's the result...

See? Cool huh? This trick hasn't failed me yet! It doesn't matter what dryer sheet you use, cheaper is better, but I used Downy - smelled good while doing it's job and took care of the scorched smell too :) I just used the "spent" drying sheet to wipe it up, and then rinsed it out.

Do you have a favorite kitchen trick? I'd love to hear it! Share with us all in the comments.

4 comments:

  1. That is amazing. I don't have a dryer,but I will certainly get some of them to have on hand. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I needed this ... a few pans are waiting to be spruced up this morning!

    Delighted to meet you today. I hope you don't mind if I splash around a bit to get to know you. This looks like a refreshing spot to dip into some serious goodness.

    Splashin',
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously? I'm sad now, because my crockpot shell doesn't hold water! BTW, just in case of leakage, make sure you allow enough time for any moisture that gets through into the guts of your crockpot to completely dry before you use it again so it doesn't short out. True for any non-submersible electronic gadget.

    Can't wait to try it -- I'll figure out some way!

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments and read them all. Please let me know you were here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails