Pages

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Mock Devonshire cream for scones

IMG_2030
My cousin’s wife (and a member of my other blog, Real Women Eat) is having a baby.  So the family threw her a baby shower tea a couple weeks ago.  I was asked to bring the cream for the scones.  Perfect!  I have just the recipe!
I can be a snob when it comes to sweets.  Ask anyone that knows me well.  I didn’t even eat my own wedding cake because I don’t do “store bought” cakes.  Sad, I know. 
But I’m not a mean-girl snob.  I just don’t want to waste caloric intake on something I don’t love.  I know.   I know.
Back to the cream.  You probably already know this, but real Devonshire cream only comes from the milk of cows in Devon, England.  Hence, the name of this recipe… Mock Devonshire Cream.   Some recipes I’ve seen call for adding sour cream, which I don’t like the taste of in my cream (see above reference to snobbery).  This doesn’t call for that.

Mock Devonshire Cream
6 ounces cream cheese, softened
6-8 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
1 pint heavy whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Beat cream cheese until fluffy.  Beat in confectioners’ sugar until smooth.  Add whipping cream and beat on medium speed until combined, then beat on high until stiff peaks form
Refrigerate until serving.    This yields about 6.5 cups.  If that’s too much, you can half this recipe.
It’s really easy to make your own.  Never, ever use Cool Whip type topping.  That’s just wrong. (Again, see reference to snobbery above. )  Because making your own whipped cream is as simple as beating heavy cream, or whipping cream, with a hint of confectioners’ sugar until it becomes stiff.  No other chemicals, and the satisfaction of being able to say “I make it myself”.
IMG_2026
I didn't make these scones.  Who knew, but Publix actually makes scones!  LOL.  However, if you'd like to try something that this cream would be great  on, how about these Strawberry Scones, or this would be heavenly on Fresh Peach Muffins  (just click on the recipe names)

4 comments:

  1. Love the comment about "wasting calories" lol I will have to remember that :) The scones and cream look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE scones! These look amazing. I've never made devonshire cream befoe thanks for the new addition to my must trys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are having our Christmas Tea with female relatives and whipped up your recipe for the mock Devonshire Cream. Delicious! Thank you fr sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I hope you like this recipe. It's so easy, isn't it? The Christmas Tea sounds wonderful. My aunt throws a "Sister's Tea" every year...guess who gets to do the food??? Ah-Hmm! LOL

      Delete

I love your sweet comments and read them all. Please let me know you were here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails