Pages

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Caramel Apple Muffins

Because it was a dreary day, I decided to go through my recipe notebooks for something new to try.
and decided on Caramel Apple Muffins. I like apples, and I like....make that love... caramel so it was a no-brainer. I think they're best served warm while the caramel is still gooey. I saved two for hubby, and of course I had to try one, er... two. And then I boxed up the rest for hubby to take to work with him to share.

Since I couldn't share them with you to taste, I'll share the recipe and you can make 'em yourself. How's that?

Fresh Caramel Apple Muffins

2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 cup milk (I used evaporated, but I think buttermilk would be fantastic)
1/4 cup melted butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped, peeled tart apples (granny smith)
12 caramels, chopped

TOPPING
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
3 Tablespoons melted butter
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
Whisk the egg, milk, butter and vanilla and stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
Fold in the apples and caramels.
Fill paper-lined muffin cups 3/4 full.
Combine the topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack. Best served warm

Note: You should watch the time when baking these. Either my oven is wonky, or something, but mine were done before the suggested time. I would check at 15 minutes, and then gauge it from there.
Also, while still kind of warm, I'd remove that paper lining. Those melted caramels will make it stick and when it cools you'll either never get that paper off, or you'll mutilate your poor muffin... unless of course you like added fiber (i.e., paper!!) in your diet. LOL

Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Chrissy - they were !!! But, if you make 'em, don't forget the remove-the-paper-trick! LOL

      Delete
  2. MMMM a must try I think, I will also follow you on pinterest
    xx jeanetteann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jeanette! Thank for following me on Pinterest, I'm followin' ya right back! (Love that "tea" board of yours!)

      Delete
  3. Oh yum! These do look fabulous! Thanks for the tip about removing the lining ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look totally delish!!!

    New follower via Dear Creatives. Following you on Pinterest as well. If you would like to follow me back pinterest.com/fruitloopgirl

    Hope you will stop by my blog and say hi. Http://fruitloopgirlslife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeanette these look amazing....any baked good with buttermilk is excellent in my book. I can almost smell them from my computer

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments and read them all. Please let me know you were here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails