Pages

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Haiti Benefit Concert

Friday night, we attended a free concert to benefit the victims in Haiti.  There were two bands:  NewWorldSon, and our friends PEAVYHOUSE band.

(Peavyhouse Band)
The concert was awesome.  Bell Shoals Baptist Church (Brandon, FL) has an amazing stage...perfect for concerts!
The lead singer, Andy Peavyhouse, is also the worship leader in the 20/30 service at our church, First Baptist Church (Brandon, FL).  The "20/30" part is the age group, but don't be fooled, there are people of all ages in there.  This service is at 10:30 a.m. and is a more contemporary style of worship.   It's held in the Dining hall, while "big church" is going on in the sanctuary.  LOL. 
While at the concert, (we went with our friends....Andy's mom and dad) we sat at the table to sell ther CD's.   Andy wrote the song "Changed" (it's awesome by the way) and the CD was this song...just one song. 

My hubby is on the left, Steve (Andy's dad) on the right
I'm on the right, Janet (Andy's mom) is on the left

Perhaps the most disturbing thing I learned that night was what their diet mostly consisted of.   What they call "Mud Cookies".  And they're exactly what you think...

That's the "recipe" for Mud Cookies... 1 part mud, 1 part water, 1 part lard and if they have it, lemon juice.   Greg Shepherd, the emcee for the evening, said he had tried it and "you don't taste the lemon".  He said they were nasty, but that's what all they have to "sustain" them.  As you can imagine, dysentery and other stomach problems are a big problem there.

My heart broke.  I remember being glued to the television watching the rescues, the times it was "too late", the triumphs and tears.  I also remember the big names that rallied for concerts and said the loved Haiti.   I don't hear anything much anymore.  It's too easy to get back into our "comfortable" mode.  When I heard that human beings were eating mud just to survive and try to ease the gnawing hunger pains and I just had my pot roast, peas and mashed potatoes I felt guilty.

Greg, his wife and others have been ministering there.  There's no big TV coverage, no appeal-a-thon, he's putting feet to his faith.  He has a website if you'd like to check it out  Florda Synergy .  He's also on twitter @LuvHaitiMission.


1 comment:

  1. They are an amazing band!!! They rocked the house down!

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments and read them all. Please let me know you were here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails