Pages

Friday, October 22, 2010

FREEZER FOODS FRIDAY - Guest Post Alexis

Hi, all!!  My name is Alexis, and I'm a crazy Kentucky gal. 
[family+portrait9.jpg]
I'm a Christian above all else, and wife to my wonderful Jared.  We walked the dark road of infertility for two long years, and then we were blessed with our precious little boy, Matty.  He's 20 months old now, and we're expecting our second son in January.  I'm extremely disorganized and scatter-brained, but I make up for it (sort of) by being equally creative and crafty.  My blog is the perfect picture of my life--I mean to do so much more, but I'm lucky to get anything done at all.  I'm insanely in love with all things Christmas, and this recipe is one of the greatest things that Santa has ever brought me.  :) 
When I think about Christmas, this pie is one of the first things that comes to mind.  My aunt made this several years ago, and it's been a holiday staple ever since.  It's like my grandmother's death-by-sage dressing; we just can't imagine the holidays without it.  It's the most perfect combination of pecan pie, a creamy dreamy yummy white fluff, and sinfully delicious chocolate.
Actually, it's nothing at all like my grandmother's dressing.  That would be weird.
One of my favorite things about this recipe is that it makes six pies at once, and they freeze beautifully.  They're great for last minute invites or even gifts.  I tried to keep a few in my freezer all the time for "just in case", but they never made it anywhere because we ended up eating them before anybody else ever saw them. 
Wow, that was a great week!
Kidding.  Maybe.
So, before we get started, you need to know that you can't decrease the recipe.  For some reason, the chemistry of the chocolate layer doesn't like being tampered with.  The pie isn't difficult by any means, but the chocolate layer can be a bit fickle if you don't do it just right.  Also, it works really well if you pop the pies into the freezer while you're working on the next layer.  It helps to keep the layers from bleeding into each other.  I wish I had pictures to share with you, but I can't be trusted with making these babies this far in advance.  They'd never survive to see Halloween.
French Silk Pecan Pie
(aka Heaven for the Holidays)

Pecan Layer

6 deep dish pie crusts
9 eggs
3 cups white corn syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla
6 tablespoons melted butter or margarine
3 cups chopped pecans
Poke a few holes in the bottom and lower part of the sides of the crusts with a fork.  This will keep them from bubbling up as they bake.
Mix eggs, corn syrup, vanilla, and butter.  Divide the mixture equally into each pie crust.  Then, measure 1/2 cup of pecans for each pie and sprinkle over egg mixture.  Pat the pecans into the egg mixture and bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.  Watch your pie crust carefully.  If it looks like it's going to get too brown, loosely set a piece of tin foil over the pies, or use pie shields...if you have six of them.  (Or three.  I have to cook the pies in batches because they won't all fit in my oven.)  Cool completely.
Cream Layer
16 oz. cream cheese, softened
12 oz. Cool Whip
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
Beat all ingredients until smooth.  Divide over pies and spread. 
Done.  That one was way easy, right?
Chocolate Layer
6 sticks margarine, softened (Remember?  I told you it was sinfully delicious.)
2 1/4 cups sugar
6 egg yolks
6 whole eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla
4 1/2 squares melted semi-sweet chocolate
Take all the ingredients to your mother-in-law's house...your mother-in-law who majored in home economics...your mother-in-law who is a home economics teacher....your mother-in-law who would give Martha Stewart a complex.  Take all your ingredients there because she has a Kitchenaid mixer.  If you happen to have one, you can stay home, and call me because I'd love to come over and make this layer at your house sometime...just for a change of pace, you know.  My super-organized mother-in-law would never make me feel inferior or anything.  Never.  Never ever.
Okay, moving on...
Combine margarine and sugar in a stand mixer (That part's important.) and mix well.  Add egg yolks two at a time and mix well.  Then, add eggs two at a time and mix well.  Add vanilla and chocolate, mix until well blended, then set your timer for 18 minutes.  Scrape the bowl often while the mixture is whipping, but always stop the timer.  This layer will grow quite a bit, and will probably come close to the top of the bowl you're using.  Do not under any circumstances under-beat this layer.  It makes the pie the heavenly delicacy that it is, and you don't want to rush it.  Once it's done, divide the mixture evenly over all six pies, but leave a tiny bit in the bowl for you to enjoy by yourself.  You'll thank me for that.  :)
Stick all the pies in the freezer and wait until they are set.  Then, slip each pie into a gallon-sized freezer bag and seal, getting as much of the air out as possible.  Keep some extra Cool Whip and chopped pecans on hand, and when you decide to get one of your pies out, cover it with a little Cool Whip and then sprinkle lightly with pecans.  The pies will last for six months in the freezer, but they'll never make it that long.  You'll have people inviting you over just so you'll bring them pie.  I'm serious.  I'm talking typing from experience here.
This may seem like a complicate thing to do, but it's really very simple.  The only part that is a drudgery to me is all the dishes that you're left with in the end, but the first bite more than makes up for that. 
If you have any questions about it, or if you just want to visit me for the fun of it, you can find me here at my blog. And, starting in November, I'm helping run a Christmas themed blog.  You can help us out if you're interested.  You can find more information here.  For now, happy Friday to you all, and I hope you enjoy one of my favorite, favorite things about my favorite, favorite time of the year.  And thanks, Jeanette, for letting me in on the fun!!!
Oh, and this might be a secret family recipe, so please don't tell my mom that I posted it on the internet for all the world to see, okay? 


5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! That sounds amazing!! Sounds like a really good reason for me to get a stand mixer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jeanette, hope you enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a Kitchen Aid mixer, but I never, ever cook with margarine because I have found that the fat and water content have changed so much over the years that most of the old recipes I got from my mom and grandma fail. Can you use butter in this recipe, or recommend a brand of margarine that would work? I have a big family and 6 pies would be no problem whatsoever for us, not to mention that this would be my grandson's fantasy of the "ultimate" pie! Oh and what is 4 1/2 squares in ounces?

    ReplyDelete
  4. rainbowcreek, I've never tried the recipe with butter before. I was actually wondering that myself. Maybe it would make the chocoalate layer a little less touchy. As far as a brand, I just use Blue Bonnet, and that almost always turns out perfect. And the chocolate, I have no idea. I'm going to be making the pies soon and I'll try to remember to get back with you and let you know. And if you happen to try it with butter, let me know how it goes. No, wait, don't. I might like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Alexis! I will check the squares at the grocery store and see if I can do the math. I'll check with my baking partner in crime (DD) and see if she wants to have a try at this with butter or margarine. Will stop by your blog and let you know when we post our results. Can't wait to taste it! We'll have to lock Destructo Boy out of the kitchen, he is going to go crazy when he hears about this.

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments and read them all. Please let me know you were here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails